So here’s the plan:
Now that I’m in my 30s health has become more of a priority. And I’ve had a number of people tell me it’s easier to maintain health than get healthy. Plus I’ve noticed my body doesn’t handle life as easily than it did even 5 years ago. So I figured now was the time to get into a healthy routine while I’m still in relatively good shape. Several of my goals I set at the beginning of the year were focused on health. Specifically, I wanted to drink 3 glasses of water per day, do yoga 5 times per week, and lift 3 times per week.
So how am I doing?
- Had another pretty chill weekend. Hung out with friends, enjoyed some crepes, played some games, and enjoyed some nice weather.
- On Saturday we walked around the mall for a bit. I’ve been on the lookout for a lightweight jacket and was so excited when I found a Rogue One jacket that wasn’t too overtly branded and in my size. To make this better, the store had a sale so I finally got a Hufflepuff cardigan to rock my house pride.
- I picked up a new cookbook, Plenty by Yotam Ottolenghi. I was expecting there to be a few recipes that I felt a bit ehh about, so it was a nice surprise when every recipe was something that I’d consider trying at least once. I made the mushroom and herb polenta for dinner on Saturday (pictured above) and Ryan demolished a plate. Definitely going to add that into our dinner rotation and I think I’m going to try out an eggplant recipe this weekend so I’ll let you know how that goes.
- For the fifth year, we continued our Valentine’s Day tradition of wine, pizza, and action movies. I’ve never been big into observing Valentine’s Day in the more traditional flowers, fancy dinner at a restaurant, greeting card kind of way. Our chill tradition is just perfect. Don’t have to stress about getting all dressed up, instead we cuddle up on the couch and watch some things blow up while chowing down on pizza.
- Very interesting article Nice Girls v. Kind Women. Goes along with another concept I heard Tessa Violet discuss (I think it was in that video) about how being kind does not mean never giving criticism or telling someone something they may not want to hear. It’s about your intent and that you are telling them in the kindest way you can in hopes it will help them.
- After several weeks of having busy weekends, we finally just had a chill weekend in and running errands. I was so serious about doing nothing that I wasn’t even aware it was Superbowl weekend until Friday as I was leaving work and a coworker made a comment about the game. My response was “Oh, right. That’s happening.” Can you tell I’m not a big football fan? But oh, a chill weekend was just what I needed.
- We had a fantastic session of 7th Sea on Sunday. We’re gaming with 5 different people spread across 3 states thanks to the magic of video chat. Isn’t technology great!
- I have started using a new moisturizer, it’s the Beauty Sleep Accelerator from Soap and Glory. Wow, this stuff is great! It really hydrates and the smell is amazing. After a few days, I mentioned it to Ryan and he replied something along the lines of: oh, that’s why your face has smelled really good the last few days.
- I made banana bread for the first time. Ryan is a big fan and we had a few overripe bananas that I didn’t want to just throw out. For years I didn’t like banana bread and so I was surprised when I tried a bite that I really liked it. Guess my tastes have changed since I last had some. If you’re curious, here’s the recipe I used.
- Almost everything about Elizabeth Warren being silenced in the Senate enraged me. What gives me hope is how many people are turning around McConnell’s words and using them as a rallying cry. My favorite I’ve see so far is a shirt by Contessa, and the proceeds go to help them get to Gen Con to run diverse games.